Monday, November 24, 2008

Women Who ROCK

During my lunch break, I checked out The New York Times website to catch some fresh news, and, to my total surprise, found this monumental tidbit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/24/world/middleeast/24saudi.html?_r=1&hp

For a debriefing, it's about three girls in Saudi Arabia who started a rock band. In Saudi, this is incredibly taboo. Imagine busting out of your black robes, picking up a guitar, and rocking your ass off in a country that believes women should be covered and quiet. I can't describe how much hope this gives me for women in the Middle East, and how much I admire these young women for their courage and creativity. I'm thinking of writing them a letter, and I'll surely check out their myspace page to hear some of their music. (They are called the Accolade).

Bottom line? Women rock, and they rock now MORE THAN EVER.

No comments: